Following his 2018 sophomore album by returning to his roots, singer-songwriter Leon Bridges has released a new single, “That Was Yesterday.”
Reverting back to an acoustic, old-timey sound, the previously unreleased “That Was Yesterday” sees Bridges soulfully reminisce on his life and how it’s drastically changed since he achieved stardom. Despite the fame and lifestyle changes, Bridges sings about staying true to his roots as he navigates the game that is life.
“No matter how far I come / Still know where I’m from / Oh, never let it slip away / Still trying to figure out / what the game is all about / So, I take it day by day by day,” Bridges sings during the chorus.
The single is Bridges’ first taste of new music since his 2018 sophomore album Good Thing. Whereas Bridges took on a more groovy, R&B-infused sound on Good Thing, which evokes the likes of Stevie Wonder or Marvin Gaye, “That Was Yesterday” sees Bridges return to the nostalgic, classic nuances of his critically acclaimed debut Coming Home, specifically his acoustic hit “River.” In fact, the track was actually written prior to Good Thing.
“That Was Yesterday” is “a lil song from archives I wrote with my good friend Dan Wilson after the whirlwind that was the Coming Home album and touring cycle,” Bridges said about the song in a statement.
The track is set to play during the Season Two finale of HBO’s Big Little Lies, which previously featured his song “River” in its first season. The track is exclusively featured on the soundtrack for the show’s second season along with Elle King’s “Good Thing Gone,” Willie and Paula Nelson’s cover of Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Have You Ever Seen The Rain,” a Jim James cover of Timmy Thomas’ 1972 hit “Why Can’t We Live Together” and more.
Listen to Bridges’ “That Was Yesterday” below and see the full tracklist for Big Little Lies season two soundtrack further down.
Big Little Lies Season Two Soundtrack Tracklist:
01. I’ll Be Around – The Spinners
02. Good Thing Gone – Elle King
03. Harvest Moon – Cassandra Wilson
04. Until You Came Into My Life – Ann Peebles
05. The Fade Out Line – Phoebe Killdeer and The Short Straws
06. Great Big Bundle Of Love – Brenton Wood
07. Let Love Stand A Chance – Charles Bradley
08. Baby – Donnie & Joe Emerson
09. Dreams – POP ETC
10. That Was Yesterday – Leon Bridges
11. Why Can’t We Live Together – Jim James
12. Have You Ever Seen The Rain – Willie Nelson feat. Paula Nelson
13. Piece Of My Heart – Christina Vierra and The Ryan Rehm Band
14. Shake Sugaree – Elizabeth Cotten and Brenda Evans