Next month, hard-rock legends Motörhead are set to release a compilation covers album titled Under Cöver that celebrates the band’s love of interpreting music, showcasing covers the band has recorded over the years. Today, the only unreleased track to emerge from the project thus far is the band’s cover of David Bowie’s “Heroes,” along with a video, which you can check out above.
The never-before-heard cover and video features footage and touching behind-the-scenes shots of the band, recorded through their Bad Magic sessions back in 2015 by Cameron Webb before the death of bassist and frontman Lemmy Kilmister. The song is one of the last the group recorded together and in a statement, drummer Mikey Dee said of the cover, ”[Lemmy] was very, very proud of it not only because it turned out so well but because it was fun, which is what projects like this should be—fun.”
The rest of Under Cöver will contain rambunctious covers of songs from bands like Metallica, Sex Pistols, The Ramones and Judas Priest—to name a few—and will be available in CD, vinyl and digital download. It’s out Sept. 1—check out the full tracklist below, as well as Paste Cloud audio from a 1983 Motorhead show and a Bowie rendition of “Heroes” (and others) circa 1987.
Under Cöver Tracklist:
01. Breaking the Law (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2008
02. God Save the Queen (Produced by Bob Kulick and Bruce Bouillet) 2000
03. Heroes (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2015
04. Starstruck (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2014
05. Cat Scratch Fever (Produced by Peter Solley) 1992
06. Jumpin’ Jack Flash (Produced by Bob Kulick and Bruce Bouillet) 2001
07. Sympathy for the Devil (Produced by Cameron Webb) 2015
08. Hellraiser (Produced by Billy Sherwood) 1992
09. Rockaway Beach (Mixed by Cameron Webb) 2002
10.Shoot ‘Em Down (Produced by Bob Kulick and Bruce Bouillet) 2001
11. Whiplash (Produced by Bruce Bouillet and Bob Kulick) 2005