Glenn Kessler doesn’t understand plurals. In his latest fact-checking column for the Washington Post, he deemed that Bernie Sanders’ recent reference to 8 million people as “millions” was misleading.
Kessler took issue with Sanders’ recent statement that “millions of Americans are forced to work two or three jobs just to survive.” To Kessler’s eyes, 8 million is only 5% of the population, making the fact misleading. He reveals just how much of a scab he is, arguing that since the other 95% aren’t working multiple jobs, we should effectively disregard the situation that these 8 million people find themselves in. There’s also the fact that in Kessler’s head, “working two to three jobs” doesn’t count if some of the jobs are part-time…a belief that is just too stupid to entertain here.
This is not the first time that we’ve written about Glenn Kessler acting like a hack. He regularly takes issue with Democratic candidates stances on the abysmally low wages many work for, like this time he entirely misrepresented Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez’s numbers. Another time, he flubbed Kamala Harris’s tax plan with a fact he himself had corrected on somebody else before, and yet another time, he completely misunderstood Sanders’ Wall Street bailout quote.
The pattern amounts to Kessler positioning himself as a passionate defender of the rich, issuing ill-advised and inaccurate semantic arguments to supposedly “check facts.” His column is an embarrassment, and we’ll certainly be covering it again soon enough.